From the invention of boots in 1837 to the present day, boots have gone beyond filling our practical purposes in the daily lives. It has gone from being a safety barrier between our bottom feet and the ground to a fashion statement and a symbol of status in no time. Our feet do a lot for us, and one of the main things they do is carry the weight of our body throughout the day. Therefore, investing in top quality and sturdy boots should be our main priority when it involves feet to give it proper care, especially when it comes to hallux rigidus. Hallux rigidus is a condition where the big toe can’t move and flex properly, which potentially causes you to have pain. Over time, the big toe becomes stiffer, and it only gets harder to move or bend your toe. That is why investing in the best running shoes for hallux rigidus is a must for your comfort and safety.
What To Keep In Mind Before Buying Shoes for Hallux Rigidus?
- Room for the toe should be the priority: To give your big toe some relief from pain, providing ample space is extremely important. Prefer boots that are wider fit and can give your toe some space to spread out. This way, it won’t collide with the other toes and can rest while you run.
- Rigid soles are extremely important: Boots that reduce the movement within the joints and are stiff are preferred when it comes to this condition. Search for the soles that are stiff and don’t bend very much, which stops the boots from flexing through the front area giving your feet some rest.
- Look for comfort: Comfortable boots should be the focal point when it comes to buying boots. Choosing a boot with a soft upper body will make sure you’re not putting any pressure on your toe. In addition to it, it provides you comfort so that you can run properly.
- Choose Forefoot rocket: Opt for the boots that do not flex too much in the front and have a rocker profile in the forefoot area. It will prevent your toes from bending when you’re walking or running and allows you to move your feet properly without putting too much pressure on the big toe joint.
- Examine the soles: Opting for the boots with rocker bottom soles is a wise decision you can make. The boots have such rigid soles that they won’t let your feet swing. It has hard soles which won’t let it collapse on the front even if you try to. With rocker bottom, your feet get comfort from pain.
- The correct size is important: Well, nothing will work out if you don’t buy the right size of the boots. Since each brand size differs from one another, it’s extremely important to look for the right size of boots through the measuring guidelines before purchasing them.
- Carbon fibre plate: A carbon fibre plate is a stiff plate that doesn’t bend very much. It helps your shoe to prevent flexing from the front area. Since the bending of the toe is reduced, it will automatically reduce the pain. But make sure to have enough room in the shoe when you’re applying for a carbon fibre plate since it takes some space to adjust.
- Reviews: If you’re buying the shoes online, undergo the reviews to make sure the shoes will fit you perfectly and help you through other people’s comments and ratings.
Overall, keep in mind to choose the best running shoes for hallux rigidus based on the flexibility, width, and appropriate heel height. And don’t forget the comfort, ever. With the above tips provided, you will surely find the best boots you’re looking for.
Top 5 Best Running Shoes for Hallux Rigidus You Must Step On
1. Hoka One One Clifton 4 Running Shoe
The Hoka One One Clifton 4 is undoubtedly the most admired shoes by the people who have hallux rigidus. It consists of a rubber sole with a midsole that is full-EVA. The front of the shoe is round and has a cushioning body which makes it extremely comfortable. It is
lightweight, which won’t put pressure on your feet or cause pain.
- Cushion comfort provides firmness
- Extremely comfortable
- Provides good friction while running
- The toe box is a little narrow
- The outsole isn’t very long-lasting
2. Hoka One One Bondi 5 Running Shoes
If you’re looking for highly durable and stable shoes for hallux rigidus, HokaOne One Bondi 5 should be your go-to choice. It provides an exceptional amount of comfort and enormous grip and support to your big toe. Being lightweight, it offers a smooth and cushioned stroke. The outsole is made up of long-lasting rubber, which won’t let your shoe wear easily. In addition, it comes in various colours, which makes it appealing to the eyes.
- Lightweight and cushioned body
- Extremely comfortable
- Provides a good grip
- Wider toe box
3. Altra Men’s Olympus 2 Trail Running Shoe
The Altra Olympus 2 Trail Running Shoe is considered the best shoe for athletic activities when you have hallux rigidus. It has a cushioned Vibram outsole and a flexible and durable upper sole which enhanced grip. It is a perfect companion for running, hiking, or even trail racing. The top layer is made up of dual-layer ethylene vinyl acetate with an A-bound top layer. It also offers a gaiter trap technology.
- Efficient toe box which gives the toe ample space to spread out
- Revamped Vibram sole
- Strong grip since it is made up of trail-specific sticky rubber
- Foot pod which makes it easy for your foot to flex
- Bit heavy
4. Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18 has a firm cushioning and an attractive look. It is extremely breathable and offers highly flexible mesh, which is supportive. It is adjustable with an asymmetrical mid-foot saddle which creates a perfect fit. It offers a plush tongue and collar along with a removable foam insole. The deeper groove provides a smooth transition. In addition, they provide you with an ample amount of room for your toe and allows it to spread out, so you feel comfortable all day long.
- Good arch support
- Extremely comfortable
- Flexible mesh
- Deeper groove
- Provides ample space in the toe box
- Not very durable
- A little heavy on the feet
5. Gravity Defyer Pain Relief Women's Shoes
Gravity Defyer Women’s G-Defy Mighty Walk comes with a versoshock patented technology that helps you relieve the pain whether it is in your knees, ankles, feet, or even back. It offers a seamless interior that prevents any irritation. The insoles can be removed, which makes them customizable. It has a front rocker sole along with a toe box that gives ample space to wiggle your toes.
This shoe protects you from plantar fasciitis, which makes it mighty!
- 8+ hours of comfort
- Versoshock technology
- Seamless interior
- Removable insoles
- Wider toe box
Dealing with pain, especially in your feet, could be annoying and frustrating. Buying the proper shoes is the investment you can do for the health of your feet. They are going to carry you throughout your life. While purchasing the best running shoes for hallux rigidus, keep in mind your budget, the quality you want, the comfort it gives, and the reason why you’re buying the shoes to assist you out.